Saturday, July 01, 2006

hesed

I'm reading a book by Sinclair Ferguson called Faithful God an exposition of the book of Ruth, and I'm really enjoying it. One of the things that I'm discovering about the book of Ruth is it's themes about the Hesed of God. Here's it's definition.

Hesed: it's not simply love or kindness in an ordinary sense. It means God's deep goodness expressed in his covenant commitment, his absolute loyalty, his obligating of Himself to bring to fruition the blessings that he has promised, whatever it may cost Him personally to do that.

The book of Ruth speaks much about hesed, covenant love, from God, from Naomi, Ruth, and Boaz. It's made me pose the question to myself.... how often is Hesed reflected in me?

I'm loving the book of Ruth more and more as I read it. I've always wondered at the book of Ruth... not ever really grasping it's point... but I think I'm finally getting the pearls that are in that book. I would recomend Sinclair's book if you're at all interested in the book of Ruth.

AE

No comments: